Someone once told me you first eat with you eyes… and I feel that also applies to drinks. It’s our duty as stews to amaze our guests and owners every step of the way, and a beautifully garnished cocktail will help you reach this goal. So next time you are out provisioning, make sure to get some extra fruits and other bits and get creative!
What my bar usually has: (depending on location and guest preferences of course)
- Basket of fresh citrus fruits, like limes, lemons, oranges and grapefruits (they look good on the bar too – bonus!)
- Berries (strawberries, raspberries…)
- Brown sugar (for mojito’s and the likes)
- Margarita Salt & dispenser if you can get one (alternatives: kosher salt and saucers – see example below)
- Dry Spices: whole cinnamon and nutmeg
- Martini garnish: onions, olives
- Bloody Mary garnish: celery, parsley, cherry tomatoes
- Maraschino cherries
- Salt & Pepper grinders
- Herbs: fresh mint, but also rosemary, basil, lavender…
Rims & Drinks
Adding a rim can give your drink a whole new dimension. Obviously there is the classic Margarita rim with lime juice and salt but you could also try adding some flaked chillies in the salt mix to spice things up a bit (see what I did there?) or mix your salt with some cracked pepper and use it on a Bloody Mary.
Want to add a sweet touch to your drink? Try adding a cinnamon-sugar rim (simply add a bit of ground cinnamon to your granulated sugar) to a Pina Colada or a Pineapple Tang rim if you want to add some sweet&sour to the mix. The sky is the limit with this one!
Tip: The rim is a nice flavour addition but you do not want it to affect your main drink. Thus, especially when using a salt rim, try to avoid getting too much salt on the inner side of the rim. One way of doing this by holding your glass at an angle when dipping it in your salt. If you got too much on your rim, you can wipe some away with a napkin whilst holding the glass upside down.
Tip 2: If you’re in a rush or just can’t find an extra saucer, you can simply go around the glass with a lime or lemon wedge. It will do the trick.